Wednesday 27 March 2013

The Saddest Goodbye

It almost makes me feel bad as I feel I should be saying that I will miss the kids the most or even the teachers or friends I've made along the way. But truthfully, it is actually the basketball club I will miss the most!

Basketball used to be a huge part of my life when I was young and I had to stop playing as I kept dislocating my shoulder, something I still struggle with. However, since I have been playing here I haven't had any issues so far. It felt so good to get back to playing. But its more than that. I was the sense of normality, like I knew what was going on and where it didn't matter if I couldn't speak Japanese, just that I could speak 'basketball'. It didn't matter about culture, or kanji, or etiquette; just doing what I used to do best. It was my haven from the random, confusing world of Japan.

The group had welcomed me into their hearts too and actively made me fit in. They were pleased to see me and valued me as a friend. They interacted with me on more of a personal level that anyone else I met in Japan and I even got a nick name from them, 'Broccoli' (One girl couldn't say Buckley and it just sounded like broccoli, it stuck).

The last training session was amazing and so much fun. But at the end it was the saddest goodbye. I cried as I gave my farewell speech. I will miss them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment