Wednesday 18 April 2012

Externalising and Songs


I've noticed something very strange is happening to me. Maybe it's because I'm on my own, or maybe it's because 99% of people have not idea what I'm saying (And visa-versa), but I have developed an external monolog! I'm talking to myself, the same most people would just think to themselves. “Oh, I'd better go to the conbini (Convenience Store) before it shuts to get some milk” I would say to myself. And I was talking to myself about the next days lesson plans as I wondered through the dark streets to obtain my milk. It only became apparent to me what I was doing when I realised too late there was a man walking towards me, close enough to hear my mental, foreign ramblings. They say talking to yourself if the first sign of madness. I say it's the second. The first is moving to Japan.

I think my mental state has not been aided by the fact I've been listening to the same children's song over and over and over again, in an attempt to learn it for tomorrows lesson. I keep getting the damn things stuck in my head, so when I'm lying there awake at night, in the dark, all I can think of are these children's songs on loop in my head.

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry honey I've got the same symptoms here (although mine's developed since 10 years ago and never went away) There are more other weird signs that you'll come across soon but you will be fine. Only 10 more days to go and your days of foot-into-insanity will be over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Children songs can be very sticky, I know something about it me too! You find yourself singing them when you least expect it... Which was the song? I'm curious, I know quite a lot of english songs now, thanks to Stella's school and to the Iphone (downloaded app with tons of songs for each alphabet letter and Stella plays them continually, argh!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucrezia. The songs are made by my company so they are original songs, but to the tune of traditional children's songs. I'm glad you share my pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think talking to yourself is normal when spending many hours alone with your thoughts, but be careful! after a while in another country you may start feeling so comfortable with the new language that you'll start talking out loud in Japanese, and THEN you may a problem! :)

    ReplyDelete