Saturday 21 April 2012

Driving in Japan

In Japan they drive on the same side of the road as in the UK, so I have no problems there. But there are a few strange things about driving here.  On the one hand they drive slow and I mean really slow. I haven't seen a speed limit over 50kmph (31mph) yet, and in some cases the speed limit is 20kmph (12mph)! But traffic lights are something of an oddity. Japanese people seem to be ok with squeezing through those red lights, which at first glance seems very counter intuitive for the strongly law abiding population. However, from what I understand, it's part of that famous Japanese efficiency. They know there is a little delay between the lights changing and rather than wasting this time, they trend to try and maximise each extra second. Obviously, I don't advise anyone to run a red light though.

Drink driving is Japan is a major no-no and the limit is zero. You drink and drive, and I mean just half a glass, and you could be facing a fine equal to 6 months wages or a 5 year prison sentence. They don't just throw the book at you, they throw the whole library.  

No comments:

Post a Comment