Saturday 13 April 2013

The Vietnam Odyssey - Ho Chi Minh

So, I know this blog is about "Our Man In Japan", but I felt it important to tell you how going somewhere else has altered my view of Japan. Having lived there for so long, I had forgotten how the rest of the world can be, a little too close to see the forest for the bamboo.

We arrived in Ho Chi Minh around midnight, tired and broken, thrown into a world of utter chaos, and it only got worse! I can not think I have come across a more insane, dirty, rude, vulgar, pestered city in my life. People compete and harass for your money and cons and scams lurk around each corner. A westerner to a Vietnamese person is like a walking ATM, and something you must try and extract as much money out of as possible, but maintaining a level of rudeness and condemnation I personally wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

It makes me reflect on some of the more negative points I'd made about Japan and consider them in a new light. Maybe all I needed was a rest from Japan, to return as in love with it as I arrived. I know some stay longer than year, but its not a short time.

I miss the kindness of Japanese people, their willingness to help and guide a foreigner in need. I miss their order, their hygiene and their upfront pricing system that is the same for everyone (foreigner or native). Sometimes, to realise what you've got, you must experience what life is like with out it. "All is forgiven my Japanese friends" I think to myself as I narrowly avoid being hit by another motorbike.



No comments:

Post a Comment