Sunday 26 August 2012

Crazy Lady

While we were in Okinawa we went to Bise, a old area with a tree lined road that arches to form a leaf covered walk way. This Okinawan women walked up to us and very friendly started chatting. Her hair was ginger and frizzy almost like an afro and she looked so happy. I understood she was then pointing to the sky and saying there was an American plane and can we hear it. I was a little confused, I couldn't see or hear anything. She was saying “Wakarimasu, ahh, anata wa wakarimasu, ne” (You understand don't you!). I explained I understood, but I couldn't see any plane, but she kept saying it. Maki looked a little odd and then told her she understood to calm her down. She took our photo for us under the trees and left. It wasn't until after she left I really understood how crazy she was as Maki explained the blanks in my Japanese understanding. She wasn't just imagining American planes, she was saying the sun was an American plane! She was saying “You see that fiery ball in the sky, it's an American plane! You know what I mean don't you, don't you!?” こわいよ! But in Okinawa, even the crazy people are friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment