Thursday 30 May 2013

Post-Japan

So it's almost been a month since we left Japan, but it feels so far away. Coming back to our old flat, with all our stuff, in the same place, with all our same friends, and on Monday the same job too; it's so normal, it's weird! And, in turn, before leaving Japan, living there felt so weird, it was normal!! But because everything is the same as we left it and my life is Japan was so different, it makes it seem like a year long dream. A dream of a life that never happened. I knew this was coming though, having lived abroad before, your lives are so separate there is nothing to connect them. But although I knew it was coming, I didn't want it to. I don't want this wonderful year to feel like it never happened or that I've been in a dreamy coma for the last 12 months. I want to cherish these memories and learn from this experience. I want to remember the good times and the bad; the red leaves and the cherry blossom, the pupils and the teachers, Shoo, Tsuyama, Okayama and beyond; the naked man festival, the skiing, the friends I've made, the food, the life in Japan. So I must keep reminding myself and keep it fresh. I must adorn my flat with photos and memorabilia. But I must also look forward to what comes next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment