Monday 13 May 2013

Friend or Foe

On the plane back to the UK from Dubai, there was a British flight attendant serving us. Her kind attitude was almost shocking and it took me a while to piece together why. Why was I so shocked by her kindness as Japanese people are extremely kind and helpful, so why was this different? Well, this women talked to me like I was her friend. It was a level playing field and she spoke to me like I would to a good friend. While Japanese people are courteous, there is a distance there and while their heart is in the right place it can appear a little robotic. And while when you do actually becomes friends with a Japanese person they will be the very best of friends, for this initial first meeting there is almost a certain format of formality to a conversation, a level of hierarchy as though to be kind you must be a servant. When British people are kind they welcome you like a the friend they never knew they had.

Paradoxically, British people also speak there minds more. Not as much as some nations, but they don't hide it as much as Japanese people. Some comments can feel a little harsh after living in Japan and of course service from strangers is not always as friendly as my kind air hostess. But on the whole, I'm enjoying talking to strangers and I find the kinder I am the more polite and courteous they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment