Wednesday 11 July 2012

Six Year Old Distraction Tactics


I had a first year class self-introduction (Yes, I'm still introducing myself). The children are 6-7 years old. It was rather a strange lesson. As I was setting up before the lesson, this little girl came up to me and started talking to me in English! I was kind of a little thrown at first as this is meant to be their first English lesson and I wasn't expecting them to know anything. She said “How old are you?” So I said “I'm 29. How old are you?” “I'm 6.” Then came the WTF moment, as she said “What time do you get off?” Now is it just me, is “What do you get off?” reserved for cheesy movies / sitcoms where the guy wants to pick up the girl, who is currently working as a nurse / waitress etc, and he wants to take her out for a date after she finishes work? Kind of an odd expression for a 6 year old. Obviously she is asking what time I finish work, she's a 6 year old Japanese girl and she doesn't want to take me on a date. And besides, I'm married. So I regain my composure and say “4:30”. She then looks surprised and then says “Oh, that's early!” What? Your 6. How can you have a grasp on what's an early time to finish work, and yet also be able to articulate that in English? So I reply “Really, what time do you 'get off'?” “I get off at 6:30!” What? No you don't. You leave at 3:00. What is going on? Then a small boy tried to punch me in the nuts. The moral of the story, never let your guard down.

No comments:

Post a Comment