Monday 18 June 2012

WTF IS THAT!?



I'm not inflicted with a fear of creepy crawlies, but it doesn't mean I like them either. The above photo doesn't really capture the scale, so let me explain, the body was about 9cm long and the anti were about 6cm on top of that. And while that may not sound much, think about if you were holding it your hand. Oh, and it flies too. 

Japan has insects on steroids, in size and in volume. The night buzzes with the sound of insects and winged beasts congregate around light sources in their hundreds. And let me leave you with this thought, the other day I saw what I thought was a sparrow flying around the house as I walked to my car, but it was flying kind of strange. It landed for a moment for me to capture its true identity; it was in fact the biggest moth I've ever seen. Good job I wasn't wearing a wooly jumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment