Saturday 23 February 2013

How Much for a Grape?!?

Something that surprised me about Japan is the price of fruit. Back home, I know Britain isn't the best climate to grow fruit, but somehow we get by. Our climate is obviously good for apples and pears and these can be bought extremely cheaply. But even friuit from abroad is inexpensive. But in Japan, fruit is like a gift; and I'm not being metaphorical, people actually give them as gifts. I saw in Okayama airport as we went to Okinawa small boxes of grapes, 2 for 5500 yen. Thats about £48. Thats £24 for a small box of grapes!!! Seriously. The grapes they also have are more like the times used for making wine. I actually prefer these, as the flavour is stronger, although the skin is tough and most people peel their grapes (You have to have a lot of patience to peal a bowl of grapes).


I thought that being in Okayama, a place famous for grapes and peaches, I would be swimming in an excess of fruit, but two large peaches will easily set you back a good 600 yen (About £5) and the cheapest I've found a small bunch of grapes was about the same, and that was direct from the farm. I don't understand how Japan has the climate for fruit, but is pricey? Japanese people do demand that there should be no inperfections in the fruit and the price increases with the size of the fruit. I've seen apples the size of my head, but to be honest, they just taste water! Japanese people don't seem to get that the smaller they are, the more concentrated the flavour is.

But of course Maki's parents have made their living from the sale of their mangos, which can fetch a pretty penny. But the amount of love and care that has to get into them is extensive, considering that any discolouring, scratches of blemishes with affect the price. It is a real labour of love. And at least here, the taste is devine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment