Monday 18 February 2013

Hadaka Matsuri (Or Naked Man Festival) - 裸祭り

I've done some pretty crazy things in my life. I've eaten snake. I've jumped in a hole in an icy lake. I've stroked a full grown wild tiger. But my recent escapade goes right up there with the others, if not eclipses them. I took part in the most insane festival possible to imagine. I took part in the Hadaka Matsuri 裸祭り!

Imagine this: 9,000 semi-naked men running through the streets, on a bitterly cold February night, wearing nothing but a small Japanese style loin cloth (A Fundoshi フンドシ) and traditional socks (Tabi 足袋) and your still not even close to the full madness. All these men are then paraded around the streets chanting themselves into a frenzy while people throw freezing cold water on them.


They are then funnelled into a small alley where police stand firm and female onlookers are whipping up a frenzy of their own, until you reach the grounds of Saidaiji temple (西大寺). Here they are 'cleansed' with a pool of freezing water, just over waist high (Not forgetting your only wearing a loin cloth and a pair of socks on a cold night, outside). The parade then takes you around the temple its self where more onlookers cheer and high-five you. You are blessed for good luck and then you enter 'the arena!' Here, you must wait, patiently, naked, wet, in the cold, for... ...wait for it.... ...sticks.


The aim of the game is to complete with the 9,000 other naked men for one of two stick filled with incense, trying not to be; beaten, full down the steps to the temple, crushed, wrestled to the ground or trodden on, in the process. If you are lucky enough to survive this gauntlet with sticks in hand, you will achieve hero like status, as well as being blessed for a year and a substantial cash price!

This is what I did. Not the hero like status, blessed, cash rich part; the attempting part to become the former. Loin clothed, wet and cold in the streets of Japan, wrestling with others for a glimpse of stick. It was nothing short of total insanity and carnage. I have on occasion defend the 'Japanese people are crazy' stereotype, but after this I don't have a leg to stand on.

There were countdowns to the dropping of the sticks and once it reached a minute before, the tension and atmosphere was electric. Just before the sticks were dropped, the lights went out, something of which I had no idea.

Managing to survive the cold and I made my way up the steps to the temple, where pushing serge which caused men to topple down the stairs head-over-heals, one on top of another like human dominos. Having made it to the top of the stairs I narrowly avoided such doom on more than one occasion, hit the deck to prevent a slinky affect and digging my feet in while grab hold of the nearest free Japanese mans limb, seemed to fair me well. Once I squeezed my way in to the human bait ball, the all new danger of being crushed to death became all too realistic. With men more tightly compacted than a Tokyo commuter train, it was hard to breath and I was even unable to move an arm it was so densely packed. I couldn't and I'm not sure I would have even wanted to make it close to the epicentre of the riot, where I presume the sticks were, but I'm told warmth from the shared body heat is so intense it is like the hottest sauna.


This battle lasted for over an hour, with the sticks moved and fought over in big huddles until they reached their final destination and the event was over. Naked man roamed the streets and disappeared into the night, as did I; confused, shocked, cold and tired. If someone asks me “Are Japanese people really that crazy?” again, I will refer them to the Hadaka Matsuri.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment