Thursday 27 September 2012

Strange Behaviour

In England we know when to say good morning, good afternoon, good evening and good night, but for a while I've had the feeling that the Japanese people are playing a trick on me. I have quickly understand that Ohayogozaimasu (Good morning) is only said very early on, not until 12 as back home. But the line between Konnichiwa (Good day) and Konbanwa (Good evening) was throwing me into a world of confusion. I understand back home the line is blurred, but if someone says “good evening” it would be just plain rude to reply with “Good afternoon”, as you many have well said “Actually, I think you'll find its still in the afternoon you simpleton!” But for a while now, just when I think I have it figured out someone replies with the opposite. Finally I came to the conclusion that it must be just when the sun sets that it becomes evening, with a grey area around dusk. However, last night while walking to my Eikaiwa (Private English) class, in the pitch black, I met a man coming the other way. I said confidently “Konbanwa” to which he replied “Konnichiwa.” It appears the locals are just messing with me.

My second story of oddity comes from one of my schools. I had a lesson today and to pass the time while the teacher gives some Japanese explanation, instead of standing there like a pleb, I walk up and down the rows, checking the spelling, punctuation and slacking students. I had noticed something strange about one student. As I come up her row she gave me an evil look, and scooted her table over to one side, sighing, huffing and puffing. I hadn't asked her too, nor was there not enough room for me. I winded my way through the class and on my return made my way down the other side of her row, to which the response was further huffing and sighing and the slight moving of her table in the other direction. This also provoked some chuntering under her breath. I thought, it probably nothing, but for the purpose of science, I would test this further throughout the lesson. Each time, she would shunt her desk away from me and the further violations of her oversized personal space also invoked the closing or covering of her book so I couldn't see to correct or approve her workings. Have I given her this complex? Did I ask her once to move her desk over as it was blocking my access and now she feels every time I pass she need to give me a wide birth? I can't remember issuing such a demand. I decided to try and bridge the void, but how? At that point her friend tried to pass her a note, her eyes caught mine, 'busted'. So I smiled, nodded to show my approval that I am the cool kind of teacher that lets that kind of thing slide; to which her reply was a scowl so harsh I genuinely believe she was trying to burn a hole in my head with her eyes. “Teenagers!” I thought, as I circled back down her row to make her scoot over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment