Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Evening Class


The local Board of Education (BoE) had asked me to do an English evening class for the locals in the area. I was a little reluctant at first as I still don't really know what I doing and I think that adults will see through my thin facade quicker than a 7 year old would. My concerns melted when I was told I will be paid the princely sum of 10,000 yen (About £80) for 1 and a half hours work. My first lesson was a bit messy, I didn't have much time to practice and I didn't really know what the ability was of my potential students, who, as it turns out, have an average age of over 50 and a somewhat mixed level of English. 

The second lesson was actually great fun, partly in fact that I was more organised and partly that I took Maki with me. It made it so much easier having someone to demonstrate with and it turns out we make quite a team. More than that, we made quite a double comedy act, educating and entertaining at the same time. I can't wait 'til next time now. I still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment